The Christian and Missionary Alliance is the outgrowth of the spiritual experiences and missionary vision of Dr. Albert B. Simpson. As a Presbyterian minister and pastor of the prestigious Thirteenth Street Church of New York City, Dr. Simpson was impressed by the appalling spiritual needs of the immigrant masses flooding into the city during the latter part of the nineteenth century. Motivated by the spiritual needs of the metropolitan multitudes in North America as well as by those of the unevangelized peoples abroad, Dr. Simpson launched a vibrant ministry of evangelism and Bible teaching.
Simpson and many believers at the time were compelled by a sense of urgency to take God's message of salvation to all nations, because of Jesus' statement in Matthew 24:14, "This gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come."
Some of those attracted to the deeper life and missionary emphasis of The Christian and Missionary Alliance were residents of Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. When possible, they traveled to New York City or Philadelphia to participate in Alliance meetings. Upon returning, they shared their newfound enthusiasm with neighbors and friends. This group began to have meetings for Bible study and prayer in many different homes, and eventually met regularly each Sunday afternoon at Cedar Home. Today this house faces the Lititz Pike (Rt.501) immediately north of Route 30. In March 1893, a Sunday School was organized there. For the convenience of those who found travel to Cedar Home difficult, simultaneous meetings were held in other homes around Lancaster County.
In 1899, these several groups united, and a growing membership led to the purchase of a permanent church home at 237 West Chestnut Street in December 1903. Continued growth through the years resulted in relocating to a new building on Euclid Avenue and Wabank Road in 1957. In 1982 the congregation moved to its present site at 210 Pitney Road, adjacent to Route 30. Continued growth resulted in a large expansion of the facility in 1991.
More than 50 members of the Lancaster Alliance Church have gone out as missionaries to the foreign fields under the Christian and Missionary Alliance. Many others have served under non-Alliance mission boards and in the pastorate. The Lancaster Alliance church is committed to the C&MA's vision of reaching the unreached and expanding the kingdom of God worldwide.
A portion of this article was adapted from "A Short History of The Christian and Missionary Church, Lancaster, Pa" by Rev. Paul Haagen.